Escape on the Underground Railroad (Liberty Letters) (Paperback)
In this historical fiction book by former educator Nancy Lesourd, young readers can experience American history through the letters of two girls involved with the Underground Railroad: Hannah, who is shocked to discover her Virginian family is helping escaped slaves make their way North and more shocked by what she learns from an orphaned runaway, and her friend Sarah, who sees the evils of slavery firsthand when a young man is brought Philadelphia home, a slave catcher hot on his heels. Filled with period-accurate information, this book brings history to life and is also perfect for classrooms or homeschool use.
Within this novel in Liberty Letters series, late-elementary and middle school readers can explore the fictionalized story of two girls who find themselves in the middle of world-shaping events.
Hannah's world is shaken when she discovers her family's involvement with the Underground Railroad. When runaways find their way to her Virginia home, she must decide if she will play it safe or join her family to help the slaves escape. In Philadelphia, her friend Sarah is drawn into the life of a seven-year-old orphaned slave, whose health and mental state has been shattered by the evils of slavery. As the danger increases, the girls must find the courage they need to act before it is too late.
While reading Escape on the Underground Railroad, readers 8-12 will also encounter:
- Period-accurate historical details that help bring history to life in a realistic and immersive way
- An exploration of the challenges and barriers women faced in that time period, including tests to their beliefs
- A chance to think through how they may have reacted in these important times ... and how they can act today as history continues to unfold around them.
Escape on the Underground Railroad is:
- an ideal addition to homeschool or classroom history curriculums
- perfect for any young woman interested in history or what they can do to shape our world today based on the important lessons of the past
- a great gift for birthdays or holidays that will also empower and inspire the young girl in your life
And if you enjoyed Escape on the Underground Railroad, don't forget to check out the other books in the Liberty Letters series: Adventures in Jamestown, Secrets of Civil War Spies, and Attack at Pearl Harbor