Celebrate Indie Bookstore Day with Blue Willow!
Indie Bookstore Day is a one-day-only bookish party to celebrate local, independent bookstores across the U.S. Over 700 bookstores are celebrating this year!
We’re so excited to celebrate Independent Bookstore Day, Saturday, April 24, with you virtually and in-person! To shop with us in-store, don’t forget to make your shopping appointment to stop by between 10:00AM and 5:00PM CT.
Fun fact: Glennon Doyle is this year’s Indie Bookstore Day Author Ambassador!
Our Party Plans
Here are ways to join the party, both in-store and online!
- Give us a call to make your appointment to shop in-store between 10AM and 5PM: (281) 497-8675
- Shop special celebratory merch, exclusively available at independent bookstores
- In the shop, we'll have baskets of ARCs (advanced reader copies) for teens and adults as a thanks for your support over the past year. Stop by to pick one up while supplies last.
- Get a free audiobook! When you spend at least $15 USD at your indie bookstore between April 24th and 26th, you can pick one of the audiobooks below for free from Libro.fm. It’s our way of saying thank you for shopping local.
- You're also invited to join Independent Bookstore Day and over 700 local bookstores around the country for a full day of virtual events featuring your favorite authors and illustrators! Visit the Indie Bookstore website, then just click the links on the events to join.
- Valerie Koehler, owner of Blue Willow Bookshop, will be giving a special virtual book talk and cocktail hour on Saturday afternoon at 4PM CT! Grab a literary libation — we invite you to join us in drinking a "Memorial" (sparkling lemonade with vodka - or alcohol-free!), named after both our street and the wonderful novel by Houston-based New York Times bestselling author Bryan Washington; or a "Choose Joy Margarita" in honor of Houston-based and New York Times bestselling author Katherine Center, whose latest novel takes place on Galveston (and one legend has it that margaritas were created for Peggy Lee in Galveston!). To join, please email Valerie for the Zoom link.
Social Media Giveaway
This year, we are teaming up with our friends at @katybudgetbooks for a giveaway! Here is how you can enter for a chance to win a $25 gift card to one of our bookshops:
(1) Post a selfie or shelfie at both stores, either inside or outside— whatever you're comfortable with.
(2) Tag both stores in your post.
(3) Use the hashtag #WestHouBookshopHop
(4) Follow both stores on whichever platform you're posting on.
The giveaway will end on Saturday, April 24 at 5:59pm CT. Two winners will be announced on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram at 6:30pm CT. One winner will receive a $25 gift card from Blue Willow, and the other winner will receive a $25 gift card from Katy Budget Books.
Shop Local Facts
Shopping local makes a real difference for your local economy, the environment, and your community.
Did you know?
When you spend $100 at a local business, $67 of that stays in your community.
More of your taxes are reinvested in your community.
Buying local means less packaging and less transportation.
Local retailers are your friends and neighbors.
Local businesses donate to charities at more than twice the rate of national chains.
More independents means more choice, more diversity, and a truly unique community.
Thank you for shopping local, friends!
Our Favorite Local Businesses
Here are just a few of our staff’s favorite local businesses*! We’d love to hear about yours!
Julie's French Pastries. We love this place! They're right down the sidewalk in our strip center, and they make amazing coffee, yummy pastries, and more.
Ace Hardware. One time, they fixed our cash register and saved the day!
Wild Birds Unlimited at Kirkwood & Memorial. The owner is crazy knowledgeable! - Sandra
Robert's China and Fine Gifts. I always find just the right gift. Their staff is very helpful. It's convenient to park in front. Love them! - Valerie
Hungry's. Their hummus is amazing and they mix a mean cocktail. I love the soup dumplings at Tiger Noodle House, which has locations in Houston and Katy. They also collaborate with Daddy Duncan's BBQ at their Mason Road location and have brisket fried rice that is delicious! - Cathy
Delices de Maurice. Authentic, charming French cafe with outdoor and indoor seating. They serve breakfast and lunch and have beautiful, delicious desserts. - Kimberly
Luchi & Joey’s on Memorial and Kirkwood. They started as a food truck and opened this brick and mortar restaurant right before the street construction started on Memorial, then the pandemic hit. - Lisa
Verbena Coffee at Kirkwood and Memorial. - Caroline
Treehouse Coffee and Frozen Yogurt. Impero Italiano. Memorial Donuts. Houston Dairymaids. Red Dessert Dive. Revival Market. Dromgoole's Fine Writing Instruments & Stationery. Big Blue Whale Toys. - Jennifer K.
*We did include a couple of franchises, but supporting their businesses still benefits our local community!