Our consignment program allows Blue Willow Bookshop to carry a variety of self-published and print-on-demand titles from local authors. We love finding hidden gems which would be of interest to our customers!
General Consignment Info
Blue Willow Bookshop’s consignment program seeks to highlight local Houston area authors. We celebrate the creative process and we enjoy the role we play in sharing your work with our book loving community. In the past several years, we have witnessed a dramatic increase in books created by the self-published/indie published sector. We relish the idea of more voices being heard and read in our world. However, with this influx, we are encountering varying levels of quality in both written language and illustrations. We also use a very unscientific, but intuitive, process for “what will sell”, rooted in our understanding of our unique customer base. Incidentally, this is the identical policy we use for choosing titles from our major publishing houses. Blue Willow Bookshop prides itself on serving our reader community with a discerning eye and a deep knowledge base born over 20 years of bookselling. As a result, we feel it incumbent to share a few of our stipulations as points for your consideration:
- We have a policy of not carrying books published by Createspace, because, as a matter of principle, we disagree with the business model Amazon proffers.
- Books must have a spine displaying the title and author’s name (no spiral-bound books).
- Books must have an ISBN affiliation
- No porn-related materials.
If we agree to carry your book:
- The basic administrative fee for a consignment is $25.00, check or cash only
- Books should have a spine displaying the title and author's name (no spiral-bound books).
- Upon sale, we pay 60% for a consignment title.
- Blue Willow agrees to display books on a consignment basis for a maximum of 3 months. As books sell, we may request additional copies from consignor.
- At the end of the consignment period, we will send any unsold books and any payment accrued from book sales to an address provided by the consignor.
- We will pay only for items sold. Damaged or stolen items are the sole financial responsibility of the consignor.
Tips for Successful Consignment
- Encourage friends, family, and other contacts to purchase your book at Blue Willow Bookshop.
- Contact your local media and mailing lists to announce that your book is available at Blue Willow Bookshop.
- Get involved with book clubs, libraries, and other community organizations. Greater success comes from a wide array of author-coordinated promotion.
- Link your website to your book’s page on Blue Willow Bookshop’s website.
Interested in participating?
Send information about your title(s) via email to email@example.com. Our consignment manager will contact you regarding carrying your book in our shop.